Monday 14 November 2011

Putting the agility back in Agile

Ok, I don't get around to writing much here, but I have been on a bit of a journey. Having been working with Scrum for many years, I have, over the last 18 months or so, begun to question it's effectiveness. No, let's re-phrase ... Scrum IS effective. It will (if done anything near properly, which isn't usually the case I'm afraid)surface the issues that you have with delivering software. Whether you choose to do anything about those issues seems to be optional with many teams, which makes the exercise a bit pointless. This is the where many then start complaining that Scrum doesn't work.

Scrum does work. It will get you from delivering sod all, to delivering something. That is an achievement, so don't knock it!
However, it is possible to deliver more, and that is where you begin to run in to it's limitations.

What if I want to deliver more often than every 2-4 weeks?

What if my business priorities change weekly or daily?

What if I am spending too long in planning sessions?


Dan North gave a talk which captured many of the reservations I've been having, and offered some possibilities. Have a look and listen.

http://vimeo.com/channels/rootsconf#24681032

No comments: